At this time of year, you will probably notice that your skin is drier and more inflammation-prone. Cold weather, central heating, and a tendency to take less outdoor exercise can all leave your skin dull and flaky. A few tweaks to your skincare routine can help to put you back on track to a healthy glowing complexion!
1. Switch to a moisturising cleanser. If your regular facewash is leaving your skin dry and tight, then you could try swapping a gel-based formula for a lotion-based one. Massage it gently into your skin before rinsing and patting dry. Choose one with a nice lightweight feel, such as Dermalogica intensive moisture cleanser.
2. Stay hydrated all day. No doubt you have heard this before, but a hydrated body really does mean hydrated skin! If you possibly can, steer clear of caffeine and opt for green tea, which contains beneficial anti-oxidants. Drinking at least 1 litre of water per day will help your skin’s elasticity, leaving it softer and smoother.
3. Protect your lips. Cold weather quickly leads to sore chapped lips, so if you are spending time outdoors, always apply an ointment or lip balm first. Beware of flavoured varieties, as they may tempt you to subconsciously lick your lips, which exacerbates dryness and irritation.
4. Continue using SPF. In winter, UVA rays from the sun are still strong enough to damage your skin, and cause premature aging. To keep your face protected, you could choose a foundation or moisturising balm with a built in SPF protection. Dermatologists recommend wearing SPF 30, whatever the weather.
5. Avoid smoking and drinking. Smoking dries and ages the skin, causing premature wrinkles and dark patches. Alcohol contributes to dehydration, and can also inflame conditions such as rosacea and psoriasis. It also inhibits the body’s natural healing processes.
If you are looking for Dermalogica skincare products or any other facial treatments, get in touch today.